After revealing that the way players craft weapons would evolve after the release of Lightfall, Destiny 2 gave us a better look at what that might look like. A new blog post introduced three new crafting features coming to the game next year: Weapon Enhancement, Deepsight Activation, and Weapon Level Enhancement.
The first of these to be introduced to the game will be weapon enhancing, which will drop “a few weeks” after Lightfall Master’s raid and will only be available for certain select weapons — initially only Adept weapons acquired in Lightfall’s Master Raid will be available for improvement.
The process will allow Adept weapons to be upgraded with enhanced attributes, a level and a souvenir slot, with the boost working in a three-tiered system as described below:
- Tier 1 Enhancement:
- It replaces the existing Masterwork. Grants an improved native weapon level, “first improved” timestamp, and souvenir slot.
- Raid Adepts only: allows full selection of barrel and magazine perks (these perks are set individually per level, just like crafted weapons).
- The cost of Tier 1 Weapon Enhancement will vary depending on the Masterwork level being replaced. Enhancing a weapon that has a Masterwork level price of 10 will be much cheaper than enhancing a weapon with a Masterwork level price of 1.
- Tier 2 Enhancement:
- Weapon Level Requirement 11. Allows left column perk to improve.
- Tier 3 Enhancement:
- Weapon Level Requirement 17. Allows the right column perk to be improved.
- Tier 1 Enhancement:
Bungie has warned that this feature may not be applicable to a wide range of existing weapons “until we investigate further”, but it will be added for all Raid Adepts after Lightfall.
The other two new crafting features are set to be implemented in Season 21, Season of the Deep. The first is Deepsight Activation, which will allow players to apply Deepsight to any weapon that has an available crafting pattern. The ability can only apply Deepsight once per weapon and only on weapons that have not previously cycled with Deepsight. Bungie warns that the ability will be “strictly controlled”, with the cost depending on the weapon.
The final new feature, also planned for Season 21, is a new way to level up a weapon without having the weapon equipped. A new mod will be added that can level up a crafted or enhanced weapon using standard coins. “While this won’t initially be positioned as the only method for leveling up a weapon, it can be a convenient method for unlocking early perk options and an outlet for any spare coins you’ve saved up,” the post explains. Players will still be able to level up weapons the same way they do now.
Along with these new features, Bungie will also remove some old ones, including Deepsight Attunement items, attunement items, and Resonant and Harmonic alloys. Deepsight will now only drop on weapons with a crafting pattern, making red-bordered drops feel more valuable. While most of these changes won’t be implemented at Lightfall’s launch, they will be introduced in future seasons.
The products discussed here were independently selected by our editors. GameSpot may receive a share of the revenue if you purchase anything featured on our site.